Chief of the Philippine Amusement Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR), Andrea Domingo, on Thursday said that there is a need for stricter regulations on entry of overseas workers in the country.
“There should be stricter screening at the points of getting visas and at the points of entry,” Domingo said.
The announcement comes after the Chinese embassy in Manila called for identifying and cracking down on Chinese workers recruited illegally to work in the country’s offshore gaming and gambling industry.
While the Chinese government bans its citizens from engaging in gambling even while abroad in countries where gambling is legal, responding to the statement from the Chinese embassy, PAGCOR chief said: “Our law is jurisdictional in nature. If you exclude players where gambling is illegal, I think it is not our responsibility but it’s the responsibility of that country to prevent their people from gambling.”
Hitting on the offshore gambling industry in the Philippines, last week on Thursday the Chinese embassy released a statement which read: “The Ministry of Public Security of China has taken many actions and will carry out more special operations aimed at preventing and combating cross-border gambling.”
The statement from the Chinese embassy came after Philippine Amusements and Gaming Corp. revealed plans to restrict POGO companies to specially created hubs which it said will be “self-contained.”
The Philipines is planning to launch dedicated online casino centers. They are already under construction in Manila, the capital city.