China has asked the Philippines to put a complete ban on all online gambling operations in the country. The statement came after Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (Pagcor) suspended the acceptance of fresh applications for Philippine off-shore gaming operators (Pogos).
“We have also taken note of the Philippine government’s announcement and appreciates it. We hope the Philippines will go further and ban all online gambling,” Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Geng Shuang said in a press briefing in Beijing on Tuesday.
“This will help create an enabling environment for the development of bilateral relations and peace and stability in the region,” he added.
Earlier this week on Monday, the Philippines’s gambling regulator, Philippine Amusement Gaming Corp (PAGCOR) said in an announcement that they are temporarily suspending acceptance of any new applications for Philippine Offshore Gambling firms (POGOS).
The announcement came after the Chinese embassy in Manila issued a statement hinting crackdown on offshore gambling operators illegally employing Chinese nationals.
Last week on Thursday, the Chinese embassy in the Philippines issued a statement in which it said that “The Ministry of Public Security of China has taken many actions and will carry out more special operations aimed at preventing and combating cross-border gambling.”
Amidst all these, PAGCOR chief Andrea Domingo also called for stricter regulations on entry of overseas workers in the country.