China has welcomed the move from the Philippines to suspend any further issuance of offshore gambling licenses (POGOs).
Earlier this week on Monday, the Philippines’s gambling regulator, Philippine Amusement Gaming Corp (PAGCOR) said in an announcement that they are temporarily suspending acceptance of any new applications for Philippine Offshore Gambling firms (POGOS).
The announcement came after the Chinese embassy in Manila issued a statement hinting crackdown on offshore gambling operators illegally employing Chinese nationals.
The announcement came after the Chinese embassy in the Philippines issued a statement which said: “The Ministry of Public Security of China has taken many actions and will carry out more special operations aimed at preventing and combating cross-border gambling.”
Following the announcement from the Philippines Gambling Regulator, PAGCOR, Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Geng Shuang said in a press briefing in Beijing on Tuesday, earlier this week, said that they have taken note of the Philippine government’s announcement and appreciate it.
“We hope the Philippines will go further and ban all online gambling.”
Currently, there are 58 POGOs permitted by PAGCOR to run their business in the Philippines.
Meanwhile, the Philippine National Police (PNP) has announced satellite posts in key areas to combat the rising menace of casino and gambling-related kidnappings in the country.