The Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) has turned down Beijing’s demands to shut all offshore online gambling in the country.
PAGCOR official Victor Padilla has said they don’t have any plans to shut currently operating offshore online gambling venues. He also said that the statement from the Chinese Embassy was an exaggerated representation of facts and an overreaction.
Earlier last week on Tuesday, welcoming the Philippines’ decision to not issue any fresh Pogo Licenses, Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Geng Shuang said in a press briefing in Beijing: “We have also taken note of the Philippine government’s announcement and appreciates it. We hope the Philippines will go further and ban all online gambling.”
Prior to that, on Monday, the Philippines’s gambling regulator, Philippine Amusement Gaming Corp (PAGCOR) said in an announcement that they are temporarily suspending acceptance of any new applications for Philippine Offshore Gambling firms (POGOS).
The announcement came after the Chinese embassy in Manila issued a statement hinting crackdown on offshore gambling operators illegally employing Chinese nationals.
Hinting crackdown on online and offshore gambling, the Chinese embassy in the Philippines issued a statement in which it said that “The Ministry of Public Security of China has taken many actions and will carry out more special operations aimed at preventing and combating cross-border gambling.”
Padilla has turned down Beijing’s demands and said that the POGO operators in the country catering to offshore customers are fully in compliance with the country’s existing gambling regulations.