Kenya’s top betting operator SportPesa has dismissed all of its 400 employees as the company is set to pull out of the Kenyan market altogether.
Ronald Karauri, SportPesa Chief Executive Officer, revealed the decision to the staff members during a meeting called earlier on Wednesday.
Kenya’s Cabinet Secretary Dr. Fred Matiang’i issued a directive which called for vetting of betting companies and gambling establishments in the country.
Following the new directive, the country’s Betting Control and Licensing Board suspended the renewal of operational licenses for 19 betting companies. These gambling companies have to get clearance after the security vetting of their premises and other aspects of their operation.
Earlier the week, the company had announced to shut shops in Kenya.
SportPesa had its License reinstated, and it also resumed operations in Kenya. However, it is still unclear as to what prompted an immediate decision to leave the country altogether.
Kenya’s government has been hostile towards betting in the country. Recently, Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta said that he favors a complete ban on gambling in the country. He said that if a bill to ban gambling in the country is brought up he would sign it without giving a second thought.