As far as gambling revenues are concerned, September came tough on MGM Springfield. The gambling facility witnessed a significant 26 percent year-on-year slip in revenue during September.
The casino grossed $19.9 million last month, $7 million less when compared with what it took during the same period the previous year. September 2018 was also the Casino’s first full month of operations.
According to the figures released by the Massachusetts Gaming Commission, there has been a 5.2% decline in business at the gambling facility between August to September this year.
The decline in revenue at MGM Springfield could also be attributed to the competition it is having from the newly opened casinos in the region.
MGM Springfield head Mike Mathis has said that the casino continues to “maintain strong volumes and visitation despite increased competition.”
“September was a good month for us as we capitalized on marketing opportunities with The Big E – a New England mainstay that drew record attendance this year,” Mathis said. “We also welcomed large crowds to the property for Food Truck Fridays, our ROAR comedy shows and MGM LIVE outdoor concert finale.”
The other casino in the state, the newly opened Encore Boston Harbor casino posted $48.9 million in revenue for September. The figure represents a 6.8% decrease from August.
Earlier in the week on Wednesday, Wynn Resorts which owns and operates the Encore Boston Harbor Casino resort confirmed the departure of Robert DeSalvio, President at Encore Boston Harbor. He had been working on the project for nearly five years.
The gaming commission confirmed that the state grossed $22.8 million in taxes during September from the three licensed casinos.