Casino employees at Melbourne’s Crown Casino have canceled a strike that was scheduled for the weekend. The workers decided to not go ahead with the plan as they received a new offer from the casino operator.
The members of a worker union, United voice, had earlier planned to go on a two hour of industrial action on Friday evening while the casino would be hosting the Melbourne Cup Carnival which is also among the busiest times for Melbourne casino.
The strike was called off as the workers union said that during the last-minute talks they have received a new offer from the employer.
According to the reports the union is to decide on the new offer. The union will put to vote the new offer informally and then decide whether they should go ahead with the strike at a future date. If the offer is accepted informally it will go-ahead to a formal union vote.
The casino workers union said that they had met with the casino operator on 15 separate occasions but could not reach a negotiation.
While the negotiations between the management and the staff is going on for the past six months, there has been no agreement as such.
The union demands job security for employees as it claims that over 70 percent of the employees at the casino are not full-time employees and have little to no job security.