The offshore online gambling operators in the Philippines have been making headlines since China called for a ban on all forms of online gambling earlier in the year. Though president Duterte rejected China’s demands a lot has been going on to reign in and tax online gambling operations in the country.
In a keynote address to open the inaugural G2E Asia @ the Philippines at Manila Marriott on Tuesday, PAGCOR chief Andrea Domingo said that the new restrictions imposed on POGOs will help them better understand what’s going on, especially when they have credible results by 2020.
“As far as POGOs (Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators) are concerned we have stopped acceptance of new applicants. This is to give us time to mature ourselves at PAGCOR so we can put in all of the regulations that we need to put in,” she said.
“The offshore gaming here is two-and-a-half years old and we have learned 90% of what we need to but the remaining 10% is so reliant on technology that we just have to learn more about it.
“We’ve done the computations, the policies and I think by 2020 we will have addressed 95% if not 97% of POGO including the dark side – prostitution, kidnapping, financing.
“We have a very complete understanding of what we have to do so by next year, first quarter, you will see us going into a more sophisticated way of operations in our own casinos and of regulation of the licensed operations.”