Within a week of reopening, a lucky player scooped a £50K prize at Buzz Bingo Metro Centre.
The eye-watering jackpot was won during the National Game in the Gateshead club.
A lucky bingo player won a life-changing £50K during the National Game at Buzz Bingo Metro Centre in Gateshead on Thursday.
The player, who wishes to remain anonymous, was flabbergasted when they called ‘house’ to nab the prize, much to the delight of other players in the club who clapped and cheered in celebration.
It comes one week after Buzz Bingo reopened its Metro Centre club, welcoming regulars and newcomers back through its doors with new enhanced safety measures.
The winner commented on the win:
“When the caller said I’d won £50k I couldn’t believe it! I’ve never been on holiday abroad so I’m going to book a holiday, pay off my mortgage and car, and treat my kids and grandkids.”
Justine Curren, Assistant Manager at Buzz Bingo also shared thoughts on the prize:
“We can’t believe that just one week after reopening we’ve had a player win the National Game and scoop the big £50K prize; we’re utterly delighted to bring a little happiness to the community. The atmosphere when they won was incredible – everyone was on their feet cheering. It’s certainly a moment we won’t forget.”
Following Government guidance, Buzz Bingo has implemented careful safety measures to ensure customers and colleagues can play bingo safely. Clubs, which began reopening in a staggered approach from 6 August, will all have reopened by 27th August when the final clubs open their doors.
Measures across all clubs include:
- Introducing a new maximum capacity to allow for social distancing.
- All clubs will now have markers on the floor, both inside and outside, to keep customers safe while queueing.
- Perspex screens have been installed at the reception, bar and bingo sales, as well as between machines and fixed gaming terminals so that players and colleagues are able to maintain social distancing.
- Some seats will be marked as ‘out of use’ to keep players safely distanced – there will be ‘group’ and individual seating areas to allow families and ‘one household’ to play together.
- All colleagues across the clubs will be in line with COVID Secure risk assessments and a new and more frequent cleaning rota will be in place.
- Sanitising stations will be available around clubs to keep hands clean before touching bingo equipment or machines which players will be encouraged to make use of Contactless card payments will be increased up to the value of £45.
- There will be a number of changes to the menu and the way food is served to ensure kitchen staff are able to work socially distanced.
- Continued personal support for all customers – extending the Buzz Buddies support offered in lockdown for elderly and vulnerable customers.
As a thanks to local NHS workers for their tireless efforts during the pandemic, Buzz Bingo is also introducing a new feature in its Main Event games.
NHS Lucky Stars will form part of the regular games and see 5p from the sale of every paper book or electronic touchpad package donated to the NHS.